Sunday 26 June 2011

Sunday School: Fonts

Hi everyone it's Emma here again to bring you another Sunday School.  This week I am focusing on fonts.  I don't know about you but I LOVE fonts! Fonts can really change the look and feel of a layout and I have developed a fairly extensive collection in the three years that I have been digi scrapping.  Although I know that sometimes I get stuck in a rut.  I forget to look through my font stash and I just turn to my tried and tested favourites when I am scrapping.  So today I wanted to focus on the different types of fonts out there and show case how Andrea's amazing CT have used fonts in their beautiful layouts.  
One of the most obvious uses for fonts on a scrapbook layout is for journaling.  We are scrapping our memories so it is important to tell the story behind the photos. By choosing the right font and putting it in the right place this text does not need to detract from our layouts rather it can enhance our artwork.
I love this photoless layout by Ashley she has chosen a handwriting font and by placing it on the lines on her paper it looks as though she could well have written on her page.
But you don't have to opt for a hand-written font Annisa chose a typed font for her layout I love the clean look she achieved with the linear bordered text.
Layout uses Double Trouble Template Pack from the For the Love of Photos Grab Bag
I love Jordan's journaling here the mix of font and word tags is fantastic.
Fonts work really well for title work too and it is here we can have lots of fun.
You can add interest to your page and fit a longer title in to a smaller space by mixing fonts with your alphas like Cara has here.
 Julie varied the size, style and opacity of her fonts to create this fantastic title.
Layout uses Double Trouble Template Pack from the For the Love of Photos Grab Bag
It can be fun to use fonts that look they have been written or painted using different mediums. I chose a brushed font for the title work in my layout.
You can use different styles, sizes and placement of fonts to create your own wordart just like Kim did for her fun page.
Choose a beautiful font and create an understated title like Simona.
I love how Melissa got really creative on her page and used a font to create a shaped wordart background for her precious photos.
I hope all these fantastic layouts have inspired you to search through your font stash and get creative with your words on your pages.  If you don't have many fonts the good news is that you can start building a fantastic collection today for free.  Here area few of my favourite font resources for you to check out.

You can get some of the most amazing handwriting fonts for free from Kevin and Amanda at Fonts for Peas
Kimberly Geswein has a great variety of free fonts on her blog Fonts with Heart
Scrapbooking Fonts have hundreds of fonts all helpfully organised into categories to make it easy to find what you are looking for.
A real treasure trove of free fonts can be found at dafont.com

I will be next week with a tutorial on how to use fonts to create your own alphas so don't forget to check back there may be a little gift in it for you if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment